"Tied together with a smile, coming undone."
"Faith is a bluebird you see from afar. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star. You can't touch it, or buy it, or wrap it up tight. But it's there just the same making things turn out right."

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crying over spilled milk

Moving on seems so impossible. How do you move on when letting go is the hardest part? I don't want to move. I know that I should let go, but I can't bring myself to want that. I don't want to think anymore. I shouldn't be allowed to be alone with my own thoughts sometimes, I probably 'ought to have a chaperon. These thoughts are all but killing me. Sometimes I think I may be my own worst enemy.

Arch nemesis = me.

"How long's it gonna take before you see that she's no me? Oh, no." --lyrics Every Time You Lie, by Demi Lovato

Falling in love: well, I know better than to fall, yet here I am sitting on the ground.

There's a reason that I avoid emotional attachment, and this is why. Whenever I get too close it just hurts. Like a moth to the flame, but I get too close and burn. I think my heart has caught fire and is slowly burning; I feel as though I'm burning to ash. Why can't I seem to let this go?

"It's too much pain to have to bear, to love a man you have to share." --lyrics Stay, by Sugarland

Even when you're just sharing him with a memory...it feels as though your world is crumbling down around you.

"And I'll be begging you, baby, beg you not to leave. But I'll be left here waiting, with my heart on my sleeve. Oh, for the next time we'll be here, seems like a million years. And I think I'm dying. What do I have to do to make you see, she can't love you like me?" --lyrics Stay, by Sugarland

So here I'm left. All alone. Alone with myself, with my thoughts, with my arch nemesis. Missing him. Missing us. Missing the nonsensical conversations. Missing his arms around me. Missing the sound of his heartbeat, with my head on his chest. Missing his face. Missing his presence. Wishing that I could be there, in one of those moments again. And also wishing I had never been there at all. All at the same time.

If I hadn't let myself fall, it wouldn't feel like this now.

"And it only hurts when I'm breathing. My heart only breaks when it's beating. My dreams only die when I'm dreaming. So, I hold my breath - to forget." --lyrics It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing, by Shania Twain

I know there's no use in dwelling on things I can't change. I know that there's "no use in crying over spilled milk." But sometimes you just can't help it. So, as the tears come, which they periodically do...I just have to let them fall briefly. Then pick myself up, brush myself off, and try to move forward. Eventually, I won't have to keep getting back up; eventually, I'll just stay up on my feet. Eventually the tears will stop flowing. But until then I guess it's just a process. A process of pain and pretending. So I'll keep moving forward, just pretending that I'm okay. Pretending there isn't a break in my heart. Pretending that moving on is the easy part.

"The truth is, that I miss lyin' in those arms of his. But I don't ever let it show. I laugh and I act like I'm having the time of my life. As far as he knows, it's easy goin' out on a Friday night. Easy, everytime I see him out I can smile, live it up, the way a single girl does. But, what he, what he don't know is how hard it is to make it look so, Easy." --lyrics Easy, by Rascal Flatts and Natasha Bedingfield

Maybe sooner or later I won't have to pretend anymore. Perhaps I can reach the point where it IS easy. But for now, I'll just keep pretending. And onward I go. Forward I go. Once again trying to paint that pretty picture with shards of hope and shattered dreams. Someday I'll have my masterpiece. One day I'll wake up and all the pain I've endured in my life will be nothing but a memory. This moment included. I look forward to the memories...if it will get me away from this place.

It's time to be forging ahead, trying to pick up the rest of the pieces in my life. All the other issues I have in addition to the heartbreak. There is so much more to worry about. So much more indeed. I've just got to try and shift my focus.

My heart, it aches. My heart, it breaks. I'll try to put a band-aid on it, and attempt walking it off. Time keeps moving forward, it waits for no one. And so forward I must go as well. I wouldn't want to miss out on "the meantime". My life is still waiting for me. So I'll paint on the smile for now, and walk on. Experiencing life in the meantime. Everything that happens between now and when I'm finally okay again.

Holding my breath, but trying not to forget breathing.

Just don't forget to breathe.




No comments:

Post a Comment